Conference,  Travel

Bali Asia International Model United Nations – BAIMUN 2019

After my very first trial Model UN in Bangkok on November, where I basically didn’t do anything and was there simply to observe and decide whether I like it or not, I made up my mind that I like Model UN conferences and decided to do it again especially for the fact that I’ll get to travel with purpose and meet many new friends from all around the world.

So, I applied myself to my second model UN, that counts as the real first one, because I did the last one half-hearted because I simply wanted to see how was it. For my second Model UN conference, I chose BAIMUN 2019. It’s held at the Westin Resort Nusa Dua Bali on March 22nd-25th, 2019. I chose it because the time was convenient for me. Only need to skip one Monday instead on weekdays, and it’s 3 months away from my last MUN, so I thought I’d get enough preparation on my research and speaking practice.

For my past conferences, I’ve always opted for the full accommodation because I didn’t want to hassle finding my own accommodation and meals, while this one, I opted for the non-accommodation for several reasons;

  1. The venue is at the Westin Resort Nusa Dua Bali, but if I opted for full accommodation I’d stay at Mercure Nusa Dua Bali and I want to avoid the hassle mobilizing from Mercure to the Westin every morning.
  2. I want to have my own place because I want to be well better prepared this time, having a roommate might distract me (If you haven’t notice, I talk a lot). 
  3. It has been 3 years since I last went to the beach and I realized I have been working my ass off without time off and I kinda want to treat myself well.

For those reasons, I chose to go for the non-accommodation one, and stay at the Westin Resort Nusa Dua Bali alone instead.

Day 1

I slept at 10pm before the day, only to wake up at 1.30am the next day, to catch my 4.55am flight to Bali. So I woke up, prepped myself, rechecked everything, making sure I had everything with me, then Pak Antonius (a grab driver who drives me to the airport whenever I have to catch a morning flight — which means all the time — because my flights are always early in the morning) came and picked me up at 2am.

So I went to the airport, arrived at the airport at 3am, checked in, went straight to my gate because boarding was at 4.25am. I opened my laptop for a bit to reread some of my researches about the topic for the UN simulation, listing things I should be printing once I got to the hotel, and doing works and assignments in general. Then they called the flight number and I went into the plane.

I don’t know why, but I always got window seat — no complaint though — I like the fact that I can sleep better leaning to the window with my jacket tucked in between my neck, shoulder, and the hard side of the window. But it is hard to go to pee and do my thing.

I arrived around 7.50am — Bali time. 1 hour difference between Jakarta and Bali. I went directly to the Westin Resort Nusa Dua Bali, checked in, but of course — it was 8.30am, my room wasn’t ready, they said it should be ready at around 11am and they’d called me when it’s ready. So I told the Service Express Concierge that I needed to print something (the e-ticket for the MUN registration which I totally forgot to print until D-1 only to know my printer was out of ink), so they showed me three iMacs that I can use to my heart content as well with one printer available. So I printed it, left my baggage at the Westin, then headed to Mercure Nusa Dua to register myself.

In Mercure, I arrived at around 9.20am and was afraid that noone would be there as it’s written in the guide book that registration will be started at 11am, but the committee was amazingly helpful and allowed me to register myself first. They even allowed me to stay there and talk to them while waiting for my room to be ready. During my waiting time there, I managed to talk to other delegates and committees.

Then at 11am, the Westin Resort Nusa Dua called me to tell me that my room was ready, I was glaaaad, I thought I could sleep.

But I went to my room, then I remember other stuffs that I needed to print. Some facts for the MUN the next day, some documents that I needed to sign and scan and send back to each concerning parties, and other stuffs. So when I arrived at my room at noon, I went directly to print everything, then eat at an Italian Restaurant called Prego. I finished all my businesses around 3pm.

When I came back to the room, a committee friend called me and asked whether I’d want to see the venue and meet other peeps. Me being a yes man that I am, I said YES SURE.

So I went there, did some tours around the venues, and a friend of mine called me to say that he’s arrived with the things that I asked him to buy (shampoo, deodorants, etc). So I went back to my room and I took a shower apparently.

After the shower, I put on my makeup to go to opening ceremoy.

Opening started at 5.50 PM, so I headed to the venue and met many new friends there. There were 3 speakers and NICE AMAZING DINNERS and also MUN 101, where the SecGen, Under SecGen, chairs and co-chairs explained to us the Rules of Procedures and the flow for committee sessions the next day.

After it all finished, I wanted to go out with my friends, but I had a major headache (most likely because lacked of sleep) so I headed back to my room and sleep.

Day 2

I woke up at 5am to get ready. Reading my facts and research datas, flipping my boards on flipboards in case there are news about the topic that would concern my country’s stances and regulations, etc. I also took a shower and put on makeup.

This day was focused on committee sessions. The first session started at 8am and according to schedule, it should’ve ended at 8pm.

The schedule was — comses 1, coffee break, comses 2, lunch, comses 3, coffee break, comses 4, comses 5.

Of course, just like any other MUNs, we started things with the roll call to state whether you’re present only, or present and voting.

Then, moderated caucuses started and the debate began.

During lunch, me and my bloc used the time to talk about our working paper and possible solutions. During unmoderated caucuses, we sat on the floor in circle so all of us could see each other and talk better than if we have stayed on our seats.

After all the tiring committee sessions ended, one of the delegates in my council asked me out on a dinner. He is one of the good friends of mine in the council, we met ever since Day 1 during reregistration proccess. 

We ate at this Balinese restaurant nearby our hotels (he stayed at Mercure Nusa Dua, I stayed at the Westin, the restaurant was still in Nusa Dua area) and we had a good talk over a great Balinese dish — Ayam Betutu. We talked about school, hobbies, cultures, and everything else. It was really nice to hear stories from people with different backgrounds than you. Then we joined our friends to go out.

Day 3

I woke up at 7am. The full accommodation peeps were wandering around town for the city tour. I wanted to go for a chill day at the beach, but even for that, I didn’t really have the courage to do so. So ate breakfast in bed, still hoping that I won’t be THAT lazy to go out and snorkel or learn how to surf. But apparently I got stuffs to do from back home, so I stayed and when I looked at the clock it was 1pm. Closing ceremony would start at 7pm. I told myself I won’t go out and have a chill me-time in my room for a while instead. Because it has been quite a while ever since I treat myself last.

So I took a good an hour bubble bath, almost fell asleep, but it was really relaxing. I brought my Kobo Aura H2O e-reader with me so I could read during my bath time. Filed my nail, put on nody lotion, and I finished everything at 3pm.


The guy whom I ate dinner the last time called me and asked me to go cycling with him. OF COURSE I SAID NO. I wouldn’t want to be smelly and sweaty again. So I ordered lunch and ate in bed — again. Watched Netflix. Then it was 4.30pm and there were already other delegates arrived so I put on my makeup and after I got ready, I walked to the venue.

The closing ceremony was amazing. There were awardings for each council, cultural performance, and DINNERRRRRR. I still can’t believe that I got Best Delegate award during that time. It was a very remarkable experience.

After the closing ended, I went out with my friends and slept.

Day 4

Day 4 was sad. I woke up at 7am and chilled a bit. Packed my things as I had to catch my flight at 4.10pm. It has always been a habit. Departure flight early morning and return flight something at 3-4pm (So you can go straight to the airport AFTER checkout time and you don’t have to wait for long).

I had a friend joining me at that time. He also had his flight that day at 6pm so we decided to go together. The guy whom I went to dinner with and one of his friends also came to dropped me off at the airport. We had to drop my friend first because the international flights’ terminal came up first before domestic, then me and two other friends went off at the domestic airport.

After I checked in and got my boarding pass, all three of us went to eat lunch and I took them to an Indonesian restaurant in the airport. We talked, then we decided to eat ice cream.

At 3 pm, I went back into the airport and waited at the boarding gate, my boarding time was at 3.40pm. It wasn’t pleasant to see your friends’ face — who were strangers at the start — not knowing when you’ll see them again.


But I believe that it was not a good bye. It has never been goodbyes. It’s always “See you soon, or maybe a bit later”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *